Thursday, November 02, 2006

2. hypnagogic & 3. escape

Sorry for the delay but here you go! My weekly photo project thing that's inspired by whatever theme you guys throw at me -

And as suggested by Clement, "Hypnagogic":

hypnagogic \hip-nuh-GOJ-ik; -GOH-jik\, adjective:
Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the state of drowsiness preceding sleep.



Coincidentally, the word "hypnagogic" appeared in the book that I was reading (what's with these people and such words...)
The paragraph from it:
"I read somewhere that people suffering from sleep deprivation are in what's called a hypnagogic state, a sort of purgatory between sleeping and waking, where surreal images drift across from the brain."

You know that feeling early in the morning or late at night (or in my case where I'm perpetually sleepy - any time of the day), where you're kinda groggy and you're sitting in the train swaying slightly to the rhythm of the train's movement? And you're dozing off and your vision's getting kinda blurry? That's part of the explanation behind the photo. Additionally, there's this station in London that has these beautiful Japanese-style graphic pictures along the wall (an art publicity thing) and I thought that added to the effect of surrealism


- - -


And as suggested by rou hui, "Escape":

I got two pieces for this

i.

Now this is my escape.. A good cup of coffee from Starbucks, comfy plush chairs, the cafe being more or less empty, good music (you can kind of make out my headphones)..



ii.


This one.. hm.. you know how "escape" can also mean fail to notice or to be remebered? LIke it escaped your thoughts/memory..? The red "thing" at the bottom right of this photo is a guy sleeping on the streets wrapped up in a thin blanket. And everyone just walks on by, seemingly without noticing him (yea right). Plus I thought it was somewhat ironic that right next to that guy there's an ATM machine. Anyway, picture for thought`


- - -

You guys know the drill (and if you don't, check out my previous entries.. I'd copy paste the link but I'm almost falling asleep here...), I'll take the first suggested one-word theme that's in the comments section of this post and I'll use it over the next week.. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

=)

1 Comments:

At 8:37 pm, Blogger yong c said...

schadenfreude

 

Post a Comment

<< Home