Thursday, November 06, 2008

potential law student

Sometimes, just sometimes.. I think I should be studying law *cue dramatic sound effects

My dad always wanted me to study law at LSE but I was quite set on studying something art and design related. This resulted in a somewhat massive argument before I finally managed to "win" the war and so began  studying graphic design (and jewellery design for a while) over here in London. He has since moved on to try and get my sis to head in that direction of a law course (which seems to be along the lines of what she wants anyway) and resigned to the "fact" that I'm going to be a starving artist.

But he did think that it's such a waste that I'm doing art and design instead of law or even business, when I have the academic grades to qualify me to study anything. That is the general consensus of everyone who knows my academic grades. Well it was a personal ego/satisfaction thing to get those grades even though I got a place in my art school, CSM, long before I even started the A'level exams. That and it acted as a safety net, in case I decided to say fuck you to art and actually study something else.

Getting an "A" grade for an academic subject, it's a bit more systematic than say getting one in art. In the sense that say you have an exam coming up for science, based on 5 chapters. Study those 5 chapters like hell, do practice papers etc.. and you can be pretty confident of getting a good grade. With art, if you've hit a wall in getting that ONE PERFECT IDEA.. you can't exactly get it after "reading 5 chapters". And there's always that factor of art being subjective (though I tend to at least get my work up to a certain standard so that anyone who sees it has to agree that its good). 

With that in mind, I think I figured out the "smart way" of studying when I was in ACJC. Spotting exam questions with an insane accuracy (that made my tutor suspicious hehh), knowing what was relevant and what was just woffle, understanding the studying materials in such a way that I didn't have to "study".. that sort of thing. So with lots of caffeine (I detoxed the week after A'level exams ended and had headaches from the lack of coke, coffee, disgustingredbull) and some agony I got my grades. Well my good subject combination helped of course, but that in some way goes back to the "smart way" of studying.

But like I always say, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy (not to say that studying law is easy, far from it I'm sure).

Guess I just miss consistently getting top grades with "ease".

---

edit : ok on hindsight, it's not so much about ease but rather the surety of it..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home