Part 3/3 : to be bothered again
I love all my little babies (cameras), though I haven't been fully utilising them lately. Because of various combining factors, I haven't really been shooting much in the last two months or so. The amount of rolls of film I've used recently has greatly dropped.. good for my wallet I guess =)
My Indonesian (well indo/irish actually) friend Jess and I were talking about the photos Steve McCurry takes in Asia. More specifically, we were talking about how everything in Asia doesn't seem quite "special" to us because we basically grew up in Asia where what's "exotic" to others, is the norm for us. And as such, we don't photograph it. Hell, we don't even take a second look at the "exotic".
But after looking at Steve McCurry's work, I definitely want to make a trip to a rural part of Asia and just take photo after photo (any traveling buddies out there? :D ) I need to get back into photography. My friends tell me I take great photos.. Such ego boosts are great but I definitely have a lot more to learn and to improve on.
I want my photos to be more emotive and to have that stillness and peacefullness I see in some of Steve McCurry's work.
I want to be able to be bothered the way I used to about photography.. to quickly take out a camera and to shoot when I see a 'perfect moment'. I love doing street photography and the whole feeling of never knowing if you're going to get that perfect shot or not.. especially in terms of film photography. My friend once commented that film photography is "like a christmas cracker, you never know what you're going to get" =) . Many a times after I get a roll of film developed, I'm like.. damn did I take that photo? when was that?? It brings back memories in a soft sort of surprising way =)
During my recent easter break, I wanted to take tons of photos. I wanted to photograph a wet market and if you read one of my old posts, you would know how I have a soft spot for them. And I wanted to photograph the Holi event.. all the colours involved!
But I got lazy.
I used to usually at least carry 2-3 cameras on me.. yes my poor back and bag.. These days, I tend to just have my digital on me..
I want to be bothered again.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home