Saturday, April 19, 2008

Part 1/3 : THE afghan girl

post spamming! keep scrolling down post after post for all three of them -

disclaimer : (yes me and my disclaimers recently) posts might be a bit on the 'rambling' side.. I'm tired =\

Back in my cosily messy warm room and terribly stuffed from a yummily minty lamb burger =)

Got off my lazy butt this afternoon and made my way to school after a frantic 10-minute search (cosily MESSY warm room) for my house keys. I'm off school today actually but there was an optional photography assignment and today was submission/exhibition day. Nah, I didn't participate this time round.. but I went in to see the work submitted and to meet up with some friends. The amount of work submitted was seriously a lot less than the previous optional photography assignment, which I participated in. According to a third year, it'll continue getting less and less each time till you get the small pool of students who are serious about pursuing photography. I just didn't have it in me to submit a piece this time round.. but I got the new brief (assignment) today and I'm definitely going to work on it.

Bummed around in the photography studio with my friends as we sipped on wine (there tends to be alcohol at the photography crits ;) ). Grabbed some food before we made our way to the lecture by Steve McCurry


Now I know you guys probably have no idea who he is, but he's this pretty damn amazing photographer [amazing guest speakers, one of the great things of my school.. last time round Paul Smith came but tickets were sold out and I had to miss it -.-] he shot this particular photo that I think most of you would recognise  ;) or at least I hope so o.O


This was the cover photo for National Geographic magazine in June 1985 and has been noted as the "most recognised photo" in the magazine's history.. OOo yea ;)

The talk itself wasn't too inspiring.. he went through photos that he has taken, mainly in Asia, and talked about the stories behind each photograph. I was hoping for something more inspirational that would make me go all wide-eyed as I sat at the edge of my seat.. but the talk was quite nice nonetheless. There was a book signing session after and I got to meet him.. he's quite small.. like my height o.O


He was saying bye to a frieind.. it was a bit of a 'tyco' shot =x but I forgot to turn off the flash -.- I tend to "hate" using flash to shoot..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home